Saturday, January 10, 2009

Grab a cup of something, and get inspired (I hope) to have some fun! This project would be fantastic with kids. There's not much you need...
I love this stuff. You can get bigger amounts of it, and there is a finer grade of it. I have only used this one. You can see their web site-paperclay.com. If you visit, please look at the gallery. There are some amazing things to be done with this stuff. Their projects page is good too. I was inspired by a walking stick project. Paperclay sticks to wood, paper, cloth-or you can sculpt it all by itself. It air dries, and you can mix water based paint in the clay before you sculpt with it. I just tried that yesterday. It saves you the step of painting afterward, but be advised-it will get paint on your hands. Not to worry! We're here to get fun going!
Paperclay is non-toxic, and will wash up easily. Keep it covered and wrapped up real good when not using it.

I thought of making dolls using wooden spoons I bought at the Dollar Store. Four for a buck-cheap! Use paperclay on a non-varnished piece of wood, just to be sure it will stick well.


You will need a little dish of water, napkins or clean-up stuff, clay working tools-old paint brushes work well, pins, toothpicks, forks...



Oh, and have some pals around just for company!











A good movie too...






Ok, let's start!






I wanted to make a face. I used some old doodles in my sketch book. You can find faces everywhere-look in the paper, magazines, your cat...don't say you can't draw either. Just try it.









































First step is to lightly wet the wood. You can use either side of the spoon. One side is concave, the other, convex. I have used both-it doesn't matter. But do wet the wood.












Now put a dab of the clay somewhere and smooth out the side that is supposed to be the nose.













You can see I have wetted some clay to a fine 'mush' consistency, and smoothed that over the wood where I will be adding more paperclay. Use water a lot to smooth over cracks.














Now for the eyebrows. Two rolled up blobs. Get 'em a little wet-not real wet, just a little.















Use your tools or fingers to give the face more shape. Remember, you can paint the features on too. You don't need to sculpt every part of the face.































oops. Uploaded twice! Sorry!






















I use water to smooth over everything when I'm happy with how it looks. Use the water like sand paper. Which reminds me, you can sand it when it's dry.



















Now, a different face.



















I'm making a cat, so I'm putting ears on the side of the spoon, and making sure the clay is wet on the back. I don't want the ears to fall off.





















Some finished faces. They're ready for wool hair to be glued on the back and side.




















You can see how long his nose is, and it's on there really good. When I was sculpting it, I made sure I used thinned clay (watered down) to bond all the edges to the wood. Paperclay is very light when it's dry. I just let my projects dry in an even temperature. I can see there are little imperfections on his face. I can make a little clay-water mix, and fix that so those cracks will not be there.

























Now here is something you don't want to do. If you have a BIG, thick blob, it will crack as it dries. The cracks CAN be fixed, just like I wrote above. But the best way to avoid this-use aluminum foil as your base, and sculpt over that. You can make a very good face with just the foil, and put a dowel in it so your doll can have its head on its body. That's important!
























I love sculpting on cloth. Use the same technique. Wet the cloth slightly, then just add your features.

























If you squeeze the head it will crack where the clay is. But not many people squeeze their doll's heads!

























More ideas! Make a 3-D painting. Sculpt things on a block of wood, then paint over it. Remember to let all your sculpting dry before you paint it. Another idea-how about little things on paper tags? Flowers, faces, angels...you can even put a dab of it on a tag and rubber stamp it for the design.


























This lady is on her little stand, waiting for hair, arms (I'll drill a hole through the stick and use something for her arms) and a dress.


I hope you've been inspired to try paperclay. Please let me know if you make a doll! I'd love to hear from you...



























5 comments:

Baggaraggs: said...

zwow, zi don't think zi have anything valuable to add to that. That was super. I sculpt over styrofoam and wire pieces together...also scult over dries leathery type leaves. Debra that was SUPER. I am going to try the spoon thing. Thanks. Love ya. robin

Baggaraggs: said...

Sorry about the z's I didn't proofread:)

Kimberly said...

I will have to give this a try!!! I've never scult. before .... but you make it sound simple :)

Kimberly

Kendra Joyner said...

wow...this is cool...I have never tried sculpting...I like the wooden spoon...my mom use to make dolls with yarn hair on them when I was little....thanks for sharing Debra!! Have a great day!

Julie said...

Hi Debra, That was wonderful. I hope a lot of people will try it. The world of dreams are open with this stuff. It is a wonderful product and very forgiving and easy to work with. Thank you for making it fun and the instructions so easy to follow. God Bless, Julie