Saturday, April 24, 2010

I have been busy in the studio...I hope to have more time soon to really blog again!
I'm making birds-lots of them. The fellow above has the first 'coat' done. Now I'll add feathers made of paper and fabric, and paint his face. I'm pleased with the folky look and his sweet face.
This is how I have been starting these birds. I make a sculpture of bags taped together. Then I sew over the form. I like this better than making a fabric form and stuffing it-first of all-it's much faster, and I can see the form of the bird right away. Lots of time spent hand sewing the fabric over the sculpture though, but I am enjoying this way of creating my birds.

2 comments:

the Inner 'I' said...

Hi Debra...I'm happy about the forthcoming birds...Happy Spring!
love, Ilene

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

He does have an exceptionally sweet expression -- looks like a sweet old-timer birdie.