Thursday, May 6, 2010

More of my folk art birds. I am happy with the crackling technique. It looks just like my old ironstone platter-it really looks like pottery, but it's just Paperclay with white paint over it, and my crackling stuff-then I use brown paint to wipe over the cracks.

I made two hands life size, using just brown paper and tape, then papier mache over it to form the hands. The birds will be crackle painted, sanded and aged. I haven't figured out what to do with the end of the hands yet.
Another papier mache bird that I've painted and sanded. He will perch on top of the old metal lid. I have old newspapers that have wonderful graphics, so I'm using a little under the lid.
This is how I start my birds unless I use tin foil. Then I don't need to use any tape. This is a life-size goose. I will cover it with fabric.
Chickadees are done except for signing the bottom and afixing them to the wood.
I have been working on all of these projects at the same time. It seems to be the only way I can work. I have so many more birds ready-just the forms. Some are part paperclay.
All of the birds will be for sale either at Lemon Poppy Seeds, or Etsy.
Thanks so much for taking the time to look at my stuff!

4 comments:

Michelle Palmer said...

Gorgeous crackle! Love the color, too~
Sweet, sweet designs!

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

I'm just amazed to see you take simple materials and turn them into such beautiful birds.

Baggaraggs: said...

Bean,
These are just the BEST! All of your BIRDS are totally YOU. I love them. Very nice. Hugs, Robin

Michele said...

wow, your art is beautiful... thanks for going into detail about how you do it. perhaps I will give a papier mache bird a try... is it alright to link back to your blog, if i do have a go?