Thursday, December 6, 2012

the hawk is done-almost...

 I just put the last linen feathers on the hawk. I'm not sure what to name him yet. I have to say, sometimes it seems my birds almost have a life of their own-I almost feel like I do the stitching, but the form and 'personality' happens on its own-I have nothing to do with it. I am pleasantly surprised when a bird is done, and I can stand back and look at him like I didn't see him before...
 I still need to make the feet. Sometimes I don't-I just let the sticks be in the holes, but I feel that this fellow needs some claws. I'll make them of heavy hemp string-it works great for feet.
 The beak really is not correct for a hawk-but I wanted to carve it out of a stick. I could have used paperclay and modeled a beak, but it wouldn't have that primitive feel I was going after.
 My-there's a lot of stitching!

 Here's a wonderful old tag that was hidden inside the men's wool jacket I used for some of this bird. Someday a long time ago, a person in a factory sewed that label in the jacket. It was made in the USA.
Soon this bird will be in my Esty shop. I'll have to think of a good name for him first...

4 comments:

A bird in the hand said...

That's a LOT of work! And the end result is truly magnificent.

Debra said...

Thank you!

Michelle Morlan said...

Love this bird, he feels like a friend ;)
What a work of art.

Attic Clutter said...

so whimsical and folkartsy girl..(:)
love it ~!!