Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Making the fox

 I bag-sculpted a fox. I did a little research about plastic bags and masking tape-their longevity and composition. The tape is paper and adhesive and will last covered under fabric for quite a few years. The plastic will last a very, very long time. I think it's good to use it for art.
 I like to use reference photos and combine primitive sewing and fabrics with a painterly approach. I fray the edges of the fabrics sometimes with a big needle. I am not against using glue for eyes, but I don't use it to hold the fabric to the form. I had completely covered the bag-sculpture with muslin before I started to use the outer layer of fabric. If I wanted to cover the form with paper, I would still use an under fabric, because then I'd have to glue the paper to the muslin.
Finding unusual things to get the effect I want is fun.
I'm lovin' this guy!

4 comments:

A bird in the hand said...

I'm loving him too!
Happy New Year.

Olga Bogoroditskaya said...

I wish you all the best in the New Year!

Attic Clutter said...

oMGoodness love it ..love the cute lil'fox face and how interesting to see how you do this ..(:)
congrats on the new sewing machine too ~!!
hugs

jenclair said...

I knew I'd seen this, but couldn't remember where until I revisited your blog this morning!

I've just added an "edit" to my recent post to add your link as inspiration for my recent, and much less skilled, attempt.