Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Busy making...

 I have made dolls using different media for about 30 years-not consistently...I've had other things-very wonderful things-that took me away from doing art. Like being a mama and homeschooling.
 Now that my little bird has married and flown from our nest, I have the time to return to some things I put aside for a while. I started making dolls with stocking faces and stitching the features by hand, and making cloth bodies for them.
 That was fun, and I may try it again. But now I like the bumpiness and unpredictableness of 'Celluclay.' The only thing I don't like about that product is the dust as you mix it with water. Also, you have to be careful not to make the projects too thick-or have a way of drying them so mold will not appear in the surface. It's probably best to dry them slowly.
 All of these faces came directly out of my head-
 but usually I like to have photos for reference. I drew with pencil on the dry clay, then used watered down acrylics in the same color for all the features (a bittersweet brown, I think). I have glued their hair in place, but also used some hand stitching to get the hair how I want it.
Next will be the bodies and the props that they will have to tell a little story about themselves. For instance, one of them will be holding a giant mushroom.
 I'm busy with small bags...

 Finishing a prim bug...
...and making little foxes out of clothes pins. Hint: always put little nails in wood if you are using Paperclay attached to wood for things like ears or noses. It's not too important if it will not stick out very far, but I would not have more than 1/4 inch coming off of wood without first putting a nail in the wood to build the clay over. Never toss out a Paperclay project just because there are cracks when it dries. Wet more clay and push it in the cracks.

6 comments:

A bird in the hand said...

Wonderful! I love that you create so many different things.

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Debra - I love your doll faces...and to think they are from your imagination...can't wait to see them finished. Your handbags are wonderful as well. Hope you are having a great day friend. Hugs

Lea said...

I LOVE how your mind works... gosh... you are so creative. Looking into the doll faces ... it's like they begin to tell a story. And their hair??-- SO cool! Can't wait to hear their names....

foxy clothespins...
You have a beautiful imagination my friend!

Attic Clutter said...

oh fun doll(:)
you are just the most creative person(:)

coralcottage said...

Debra - I love seeing the progress of your work, it is fascinating. Today, I can't read, but I love looking at the pictures and hope my typing makes sense. My hands want to do something, as you have inspired me. Thank you for sharing. xok

Baggaraggs: said...

Fabulousness.