Monday, May 5, 2014

keep digging.

When my son was about 6 years old, we bought him a two wheel bicycle to replace his tricycle. Of course he was anxious to get going and do without the training wheels. He practiced a long time with those trainers on our dirt road with us watching carefully. There were a lot of ruts in that road at times-not huge ones-but big enough. If he got in the wrong places in the road with those ruts on the training wheels-he would just pedal and stay in place-not moving at all. The ruts held the bike up high enough so only the training wheels were making contact with the road.
Spinning in one spot, pedaling as hard as he could, my son was not happy at all. He would cry in frustration. We wanted him to succeed, so we told him how to move the bike and to keep trying.
 
He practiced and forgot about the ruts. But they were part of the lesson.
 
And so it is with creating sometimes, and making art that you really love and want the world to see.
 
I was thinking about all of this while I dug out a rose that was infested with a bush I've been trying to rid the rose of for years. I would cut the weed bush down every year, and then be surprised when it reared its ugly branches the next spring. I finally dug up the whole bush and the rose with it.
 
There is no separating that weed bush from the rose, and thankfully, I have plenty of that particular rose. It's prolific and grows well for me. I can just get rid of the whole bunch without guilt.
Disappointments can be my teachers if I let them. It takes work to be an artist. A lot of it.
 
In my last 2 posts, I didn't mean to imply that I have been outright copying others' work-that's not it at all. I meant doing the type of work that seems to be popular-just trying to fit in somewhere, instead of following what naturally is inside me. And by no means do I want to sound like I am putting anyone down-I hope that did not come out that way.
I'm just trying hard to find my own way.
And I will.
 
I looked up some quotes about discouragement, so here they are.
"Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success." -Dale Carnegie
 
"Disappointments will come and go, but discouragement is a choice that you make." -Dr. Charles Stanley
 
"Seeds of discouragement will not grow in a thankful heart." -Anonymous
 
"The most essential factor is persistence-the determination never to allow your energy or enthusiasm to be dampened by the discouragement that must inevitably come."  -James Whitcomb Riley
 


1 comment:

Jenn said...

It's easier to get discouraged than to be encouraged. Being an artist, or even creative, is so deeply personal that it's hard not to hurt when someone doesn't love your creations as much as you. I enjoy your work very much. I'm not sure what you feel is your true art, but I would like to say that I adore your little stitched beasties, they have so much character and seem so alive while at the same never letting you forget that they were created by hand (which is important to me).