Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The first doll is done...

 I wish I was one of those makers who spends hours with my sketch book planning how a project will look when it's done. I know many artists do that, and I think it's the best practice.
 I am just plodding along with these dolls, even though I'm enjoying it immensely- but their personalities have changed as I needed to solve little problems that kept coming up. That's what takes time. But it's part of a learning process. My process seems to be a bit on the unpredictable side, but still, I am happy with the outcome of the first doll.
 Most of her charm for me was using the antique silk and gauze and velvet fabric I bought online.
 Her body is built on a Starbucks coffee jar taped to a pint sized jam jar. This internal stuff is wrapped with heavy brown paper and glue gunned. The leaves are taken off some silk flowers I bought at Hobby Lobby. I just bought a bunch of interesting leaves and flowers, thinking of the dolls I could make with it all.
Now I am going to write her a little story...

4 comments:

A bird in the hand said...

Your doll is wonderful!
I don't plan a project or use a sketchbook. I get an idea, mull it over in my head, then I make it. Yes, it will change and develop as I make it, but that's my process and it works for me. xo

lifeatcoralcottage.com said...

Debra - what magnificent red hair! I love the vintage fabric you used. I must say the leaves really had me going. Surly she is some kind of woodland garden fairy. I can't wait to read her story.
My process is all over the place and I find the harder I try to be disciplined and control the outcome, it never happens. I like going with the flow and letting it be what it will be. I've finally stopped fighting my natural undisciplined self. Love her. xo Kim

Julie said...

I love her Debra!!!!!! She turned out WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!

Debbie Nolan said...

She is absolutely darling Debra - love that gorgeous red hair. Looks to me like you are having fun and who cares about sketchbook, etc...you are doing it friend.