Tuesday, September 23, 2014

New faces in the crowd







I want to share a tip that I found by accident. Sometimes it's helpful to not read dollmaker's tutorials-or any tutorials perhaps, but just to experiment on your own. Anyway, the tip I have found is to not paint the face with gesso before painting the features. The paperclay gets wet with the acrylic paint, and you can play around a lot with the mixing of colors right on the face, instead of trying to get odd effects over an unforgiving surface like gesso. The paint will soak into the paperclay, and for different effects and uneven tones-I like that. To make lines disappear, just go over them with water on your brush. They will vanish into the clay, and make an effect like you can see in the fourth photo. I also like the uneven face tones.
 It's the most fun to play, and discover on your own.
It's probably a tip that everyone knows already, but for me it was a new one...

2 comments:

Penny said...

I had never read that. Don't work much with paperclay anymore but this is good to remember. Thanks!

Lea said...

It's amazing how you do this!!! And how kind too to pass on what you learn...
We learn as we go along in life don't we... Debra I can only imagine what it looks like in your studio... with all these "folks" coming together!