Tuesday, January 27, 2015

My Pink Bird.

 Isn't it crazy there are pink birds? Every color there is, a bird wears it in fancy combinations, or just pure design. I made this fellow after trying to make a very simple pattern that anyone could do. This little bird went through many trials before he stood all stuffed on my table, passing my scrutiny.
 I used vintage wool from a thrift store blanket and completely hand sewed him. Using that delicate wool really called for hand sewing, and besides-sewing that way is fun.
 I am not happy with his wing attachment, but I was gearing this pattern for someone who maybe had limited sewing experience. I do love it that the weave of the wool is so loose. The other side of the fabric is a gorgeous blue, which I used to make the bird's pants. Yes, birds have pants. They are feathers and they look like pants.
I have had so many birds as pets in my life. Ducks, chickens, geese, doves, a Bob-white, baby robins (which I released when they were old enough).
I used a fragile piece of ancient silk for the bird's top knot. This poor fabric has seen better days, but that's what I love about it now-it comes apart perfectly for his head piece.

8 comments:

A bird in the hand said...

Your pink birdie is adorable. I like the wing stitching myself. The little birds I make don't have legs because I have no idea how to keep the wires secured. So my birdies sit on their tummies :)

jenclair said...

I love him--he is absolutely charming!

Debbie Nolan said...

Oh Debra - my friend - I love your little pink bird. He is just wonderful. Looks like the winter weather has blessed you with some lovely creative moments. Hope you are staying warm and safe. Will email you soon. Hugs

Jeri Landers said...

Debra, He is just swell! I also love that loose weave on the wool and his legs and beak. Ive been wondering how others make beaks. I am going to try different methods, but this beak is really good, is it a piece of carved wood???

lifeatcoralcottage.com said...

Lovely pink bird, Debra. I think you captured his stare perfectly. From the plume at the top to the blue feather pants at the bottom - a treat for my eyes. Thank you for sharing.

thefisherlady said...

Enjoyed my visit with you today... I always love your birds

Penny said...

I love him. Are you going to sell the pattern? He's just precious.

The BUTT'RY and BOOK'RY said...

Ooooo!!!!! I had missed this post!!!
I love love love her!! xx Linnie