Monday, August 24, 2015

The dolls progress...

 I have been working on them in my spare time. They are really folky and primitive, but that's good. I start with the wood armatures like I have shown in the previous post. For the arms, I have screwed small screws in the wood so I can attach wire, then I cover the arms with tin foil. The final layer is plaster wrap. The hands and head are covered with paperclay. The bodies also have tin foil taped with masking tape to hold it in place. I have researched the longevity of masking tape for this process and found that as long as it's covered, it will last a very long time. The plaster wrap and paperclay will last a very long time as long as they are kept from getting wet.
I am most interested in clothing and painting the faces-giving them personalities and names, and stories.
These people are quite tall-about 12 inches-some are larger. I have 7 of them-the 8th is my prototype which I will keep. The rest will find good homes I hope, when I finally get them into my Etsy shop. I hope to have all the bodies done by next week or so. The finished dolls and their inspiration story I hope to post here in October-but everything depends on getting stuff done here around my home before winter comes.
I am just loving working on these people, and I love seeing the group of them in my studio. I look forward to the finished dolls!

7 comments:

Penny said...

Love following your inspirations become real. Watching a group come to life is so much fun!

jenclair said...

Like Penny, I love watching the transformation from the basic idea to the finished character!

susan hemann said...

I love to see a project in process and to hear how the process moves along!!

Maywyn Studio said...

I can imagine them chatting already! Nice work

lifeatcoralcottage.com said...

Debra - I am always so fascinated by your creative spirit. I like the shadow on the group of three as though they are just waiting for their complete reveal. Thank you for sharing your talents.

Debbie Nolan said...

Ah Debra - I can't wait to see them dressed. All that work you put into them must make it seem hard to part with them. I know I would certainly feel that way. Please take care and have a great day friend. Hugs.

Graceful Moments said...

I can't wait to see the final people and read their stories! You are so creative. I love them already! Your work reminds me so much of my oldest sister. She had the same creative vision and passion and could make the most amazing things out of the most humble of materials.