Friday, September 25, 2015

faces-the next step, and a few thoughts...

 I am always amazed that I have been included in Stampington's Haute Handbags magazine. It is such a lovely publication-I am so honored!
 Face painting is fun, but enormously scary for me. I spend time praying about it, agonizing over it. I am disappointed sometimes, and surprised when the results are good. Not surprised that God hears and answers my prayers-but surprised that I can make it work.
I can see I have been influenced by the wonderful Santos images I have been viewing on line.
I will have more to say about that when I have one doll finished, and I can tell the inspiration story behind these people.
 
The next dolls I make will have eyes that are not painted on, more life-like noses, and 3-D lips. That will be a stretch for me, as I have always done faces by painting on all the features....
 I ended up using DecoArt One-Step Crackle medium. This stuff seems to be good for this size of doll head. The cracks are small, but I know I can experiment with the amount I use over the clay to get bigger cracks. Kroma Crackle doesn't work well over paperclay-at least not the one experiment I did with it. It may have to be varnished before using that stuff, as it seemed highly absorbent into the clay, even though the clay was painted. As I mentioned, Kroma is backwards from the usual crackle method. The stuff dries white over what you have painted underneath. You must paint on top of the crackles. But the crackles are quite magnificent, so it is something I will experiment more with later on.
These photos are not really showing the nice crackles. The faces need another coat of Golden's matte varnish, which I hope will get rid of the DecoArt's very shiny surface. That's the only thing I am not satisfied with about that product. Otherwise, it did the job and the crackles are nice. Later, I'll photograph the faces in my light-box, so you can see the results better.
The next step will be their hair, so I can get an idea of how to clothe them all. It seems a very slow process to get to the parts I love doing the most-the hair and clothing. And there's one more thing they will all have-but that's part of the inspiration story too...so you'll have to come back for the continuing story!

5 comments:

jenclair said...

They are really taking on personality! I love them and can't wait to see the next steps. Painting the face is always a challenge--it can make so much difference in who the characters becomes. These characters are all such individuals!

Maywyn Studio said...

Your work is excellent. The faces have a lot of expression.

Penny said...

Congratulations on being in Haute Handbags! I love the Santos figures -- have always wanted one and passed up a chance once (boo-hoo). The center figure, in your last picture here has a perfect example of the crackling -- it gives a whole other dimension to the figures. I think faces are a bug-a-boo for everyone. After all, it tells the doll's story. I always take a deep breath and try to let go of any preconceptions before creating a face.

A bird in the hand said...

Congratulations!
And I love your faces and enjoy seeing your progress.

Deborah Nolan said...

Dearest Debra- your faces are amazing- I am excited to see them finished. Also waiting to hear the inspiration behind your folks. Have a super day.