Thursday, October 1, 2015

hands, hair and feet....

 All the lady dolls have flax for hair, glued on with Fabric Fusion. The flax is gorgeous, I think, for dolls. It has just the right amount of primitive-ness, but a touch of class as well. It is 'retted' flax, and I bought a huge bag of it at Etsy.

 All the guy dolls have paperclay hair. It is not easy to make short hair wigs, or to glue short hair and make it look right. At least, I can't do it. So their clay hair will get painted and then crackled to match their faces and hands. This is such a long process-and I am so anxious to get to the clothing part of it!

 There will still be some adjustments to their hair after the glue has set. (The lighting is bad for photos in my studio.)
 The feet were all covered with paperclay. The feet and hands-well every part of these dolls is painfully uneven in matching each other. There are bumps and bulges, perhaps awkward poses, big noses and some things I just plain don't like. Thankfully, the stuff I don't like is all on the doll I am not going to try to sell. I don't like his face, and he leans way back like he's facing a strong wind. Oh well...
He's that guy on the far right. But he's ok, there's still something I do like about him, so onward I go with him, and with the rest of the crew, all posing for this group portrait.
Some things I am happy about are- using plaster wrap for the bodies-but, you can see it is not very pretty. I have to cover all the legs and arms with clothing to cover up the wrap. If I had used paperclay, I could have smoothed out all the bumps. Probably too much of this project is problem solving-how do I make this or that less obvious, or how do I cover a glaring mistake or something unexpected? But problem solving is a part of making art I think....

5 comments:

Deborah Nolan said...

Dear these dolls are simply amazing. I love how you left the girls with long hair too. I actually love your man on the right. Please do finish him. So glad you are sharing your progress. Hugs

Maywyn Studio said...

Debra,
Your figures are coming along great! Problem solving is fun, and one of the most rewarding aspects of creating things with our hands.

Penny said...

I LOVE them!!! They are very thought provoking and I want to hear each one's story. As for the man on the right -- are any of us perfect? It think any 'glitches' on him just give him more personality! I'm with you on the 'basic body' stuff -- sometimes it seems that takes forever -- give me the finishing stuff NOW! But its all worth it in the long run.

jenclair said...

Ha, ha! I was all set to say I LOVE them!!! and scrolled down to Penny's comment. :) She beat me to it.

They have such personality, and although I love them all, I especially love the expression on the one you don't like much! Can't wait to see them dressed. Hurry up!

lifeatcoralcottage.com said...

Debra - I'm so fascinated by your processes and appreciate that you are willing to share with us. I love seeing this group together they all seem to belong. I like your man on the far right, he is actually the figure that caught my eye before I finished reading your post. I have found in the past, when I made something that I wasn't as thrilled with as other pieces, it was the first to sell at an art show - go figure. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that other stuff. Also, I know how much you love putting together the clothing, I get that some steps are more enjoyable than others.... However, I truly enjoy seeing them just as they are. Something about the bumps and lumps and incompleteness speaks to me. xo kim