Friday, May 6, 2016

On learning watercolor, and my studio

 I don't remember buying books when I learned to used acrylic paints, or oils-but I was stumped about watercolors. I bought two books, which I really like. The Artist's Journal Workshop, by Cathy Johnson, is just fabulous. More of a book to urge you on to journaling than a watercolor instruction book-but it's FULL of her wonderful art, and the art of other great watercolorists. I love the author's writing style and the layout of the book is creative. I have learned so much just from looking at her art. The second book is a DK book- The Complete Guide to Watercolor, by Ray Smith and Elizabeth Jane Lloyd. This book makes a nice companion to Johnson's book. It is all business-all the basics plus lessons and tons of info about technique.
 It's interesting for me to find myself humbled by all of this. It seems overwhelming, and I have indeed cried a few times trying to get something from my head to my paint brush-but the fact that I am going right to square one is good for me.
I needed to shed something in my heart, and this process is helping to do that.
Can't really explain it.

 Yes, I have a metal goat in my studio. He's up on my other work table. We have goat (real goats) neighbors, and they are always up on top of wood, playing and jumping and bunting each other. My husband found this fellow for me for Christmas. I just love him. His name is Ricardo.
 I thought having the word "WORK" up on my wall would help me remember not to be on the computer or out digging in dirt or fixing rooms in the house all the time. I need to WORK in  my studio too!
This very old chair was passed down to me, and I just love it. It is OLD! The color is original, and so pretty. It's not too comfy to sit in though!

9 comments:

Barbara said...

I love your studio elements, especially your goat! I admire your intention with the word "work" on your wall. However, I noticed it's partially hidden and blends in well. Hehe, just a little Freudian scene there. I took art classes years ago in college, and I'll say it here, watercolor is HARD!!!!

Deborah Nolan said...

Dear Debra- hang in there watercolor is so much fun even if it has a mind of its own:)! Love seeing your journal page. May has been chilly here too. Hugs!

Penny said...

This is such a treat to follow along with your water color journey. I love your goat. The biggest I've gotten is a metal bird -- but I think a goat would be just lovely *smile*. I'm really enjoying following along on your water color journey- thanks.

The BUTT'RY and BOOK'RY said...

Oh how I love to come peek
into your wonderful world,
and snippets of goodly thoughts!!

I have the journal book that you speak of too! It came from the thrift store,
and it has water puffy wrinkles, but I like it more
for I like to imagine that it was used outside! :-)

I am playing with watercolor ~but it is a struggle~ for I draw
and once was an oil painter~~~~~
Sending love and hugs, and warmth joy and blessings, Linnie xx oo


PS I am going to go pull that book down from the shelf,
and get inspired!!
Thank you sweet friend xx oo!!

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Dear Debra,
What a great place to work.. Love that goat! You are so right... Can't be on the computer or in the garden and produce work.. Enjoy your watercolors, just let go and it will come.
Thank you so much for visiting and leaving such a kind note.
blessings,
Penny

jenclair said...

I keep trying watercolors, and I keep failing. I never put the time, effort, and research into it that is necessary, but still enjoy playing with them. I wish I had the discipline to really work at it. Thanks for sharing some of your studio elements with us; I love having a picture in mind of where you work and play!

Jeri Landers said...

Debra, Most of what I've learned about watercolor was from really studying the work of artists I admire.... under a magnifying glass at times. Never been very good at following instructional books, but I think the book by Cathy Johnson would be very enjoyable. That goat really does belong in the studio with you, something to smile at! That is my kinda chair, love the painted surface.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Watercolor is a beautiful art form .I LOVE your metal goat! Great word reminder. Such a cute idea

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

What a wonderful old chair........I just love your goat! Watercolor is so pretty!