Friday, August 26, 2016

New doll in the works

 Here she is-her personality is not yet in my head-but I'm having fun! Her underclothes are sewed to her linen body. She has a two-sided face made of paperclay over a wad of aluminum foil. There's a dowel stuck up inside the head and it goes into her body. She will be a hang up doll.
 She has mohair curls for hair that I have glued on with Fabric Fusion glue.
 I like to use very old fabric from clothing when I can-the stuff that has holes in it even. I purposely look for it. I like the feel of old fabric and it's nice to use it, as the clothing can't be restored. I use only new fabric for the bodies of my dolls.

 She has a bra.....(oh my!) This has been out of my normal range of doll making-as she has two sides of her head and two sides of the same body-and two bras! I'm not sure where this is coming from.....
Here is the pile of old and new fabric that I will make her clothes from. I think she will have some things that go with her-perhaps mushrooms she has gathered, or a kite. I haven't decided yet. Doll making will always be one of my passions-I think because it takes me back to my childhood and my happy times with my grandma...

8 comments:

Barbara said...

This is amazing! I haven't made dolls recently, but I did enjoy it for a long time. However, none of mine ever looked as antique as this one. It reminds me of dolls that go way back before vintage, the ones that are from turn of the last century!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

This is interesting and fun and unique. Love that pink you selected in your fabrics. Perfect Pop. Maybe one side was picking mushrooms and he other flying a kite. I bet you could figure that one out easily.

My grandma crocheted. she didn't teach me, but she is the reason I learned. Thanks for bringing memories of her to my mind this morning.
xx, Carol

Maywyn said...

Hi Debra,
She's coming along well. I look forward to see what she decides to wear.

jenclair said...

Oh, I am envious! You have so many cool projects on the go now!

Penny said...

I LOVE her!!! She looks pretty sophisticated (of course I'm only seeing her in her bra and panties). I'm wondering if she might be a 'party' girl? I love it that you sent through the 'process' with us. That's always so interesting to me.

Debbie Nolan said...

Oh Debra - she is marvelous. Your creativity always amazes me. I like the idea of her being a hang up doll. What a great idea. Have a great week. Hugs! PS will email you soon.

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Hi Debra,
Isn't that what creating is all about, having fun? And I see you are really enjoying yourself. I like the idea of using old fabric. She has a very folk art look to her..

Thank you so much for your visit.
How touching was your comment. Thank you so much. She fills my heart with joy
blessings,
Penny

Vicki said...

Love her! Interesting with the two sides and the hang-up idea. Very clever! I think it is amazing how you can make your dolls and other things look like actual antiques. Brilliant! Can't wait to see her clothing. Will she have different clothing for each side or the same?What fun. My mother made dolls and we loved them so much. I did not get her gift. I have made one and it wasn't worth talking about. Ha!