Saturday, September 10, 2016

Finished doll...

 Well, she is done, and hanging in my studio. I haven't decided on her name. I think one of my articulated animals will be included with her-probably the dog. Maybe the dog and a bird.
 Her hat is made of an old sock toe. Her undersweater is made of the same sock, and her own socks are made of the same sock-just cut up in pieces to make all the different clothing parts.
 I have hand knitted her mittens. Since she is about 16 inches long, they were small mittens.
 I have hand sewn all her clothing other than what I mentioned above. She has vintage buttons and hooks on her clothing. She hangs from a wire that is cloth-covered under her armpits, under her coat. Her clothing is removable-but the mittens are sewn to her arms-so it's not advisable to remove her jacket-but all the buttons and hooks work. Even though she had two sides of her head-I used only this side for the front-her back has a real back of her clothing showing (not sure if I'm saying that right...)

I'm very happy with how she came out. I guess I needed a little break from doll making, but for now I am going full steam ahead and making more. I'm working on two foxes now, and a whale, and more people.
Thank you so much for taking the time to look....

15 comments:

Barbara said...

Debra, she is exquisite! I love the way you show her face then follow through with back clothing. She is quite tall, and she carries herself regally. She looks vintage through and through, not just the buttons. I think she looks like a Millicent! :)

Barbara said...

PS, I love her plaid skirt with buttons. I had one almost that same color plaid. This girl makes me want to try making one myself! She has a great Patrician nose and exudes confidence.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Yes, she DOES look like a Millicent!! She is fantastic. Very early 40s. She makes me think of a lady from the Walton Mountain era, but a chic lady who lives in a local metropolis. Yes, she must have a pooch too. She's a great girl. What's her story? There is always a story. Did I get it right?
xx, Carol

jenclair said...

Love, love, love the little mittens. She makes me think of British women after the war, and she looks happy hanging out with the animals! Great job, Debra!

Penny said...

She's marvelous!!! Quite fashionable -- and detailed. You're a master with these clothes.

Coral Cottage said...

My dear friend once again you have made my heart sing. I never tire of all your amazing talents. I just drink it all in and then start all over. My first thought was that she was French - she seems so couture - ooo la la! I loved the comment that Carol - Beads and Birds made, about her being Walton Mountain era - I'm currently loving reruns of Walton's Moutain - which by the way is in my neck of the woods, and my sister was married in the "Waltons" church (Earl Hamner family church). The articulated friends in the background make me very happy too! LOVE it all! Many hugs xo Kim

Deborah Nolan said...

My dear friend Your doll is awesome. I just love her. You did a superb job with her. Am anxious to see what you will name her. It is such a delight to see your wonderful art. Have a super day. Hugs!

Maywyn said...

She's a Stunner with style! I love her clothes.
I'll be shopping for a skirt like that.

The BUTT'RY and BOOK'RY said...

She is a very stylish lady!! I LOVE her!!!!
(I want to dress like that)!!
XXXX OOO
Love Linnie

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Debra, she turned out fantastic! I love the way you have dressed her.
Thank you so much for your visit.
They all grow up so fast, don't they? I am trying to savor every visit with her.
Yes, real books! You know I can still remember finger painting when I was in first grade.
blessings,
Penny

Eggs In My Pocket said...

She is lovely. To me, she looks very stylish and ready to head out to her job or even college class..........Cant wait to see what you have decided to name her.
How did you ever knit such tiny gloves?
Everything is wonderful!

Linda said...

How lovely! :)

Trish said...

Debra, she is fabulous! Love the knitted mittens and how you used that sock. She has a classic elegance about her. Stylish but down to earth as well...I like her a lot! :-) xxxx

Vicki said...

I absolutely love your doll! She is beautiful. Such style! You work is truly amazing! The detail of her clothing and the hat and hair...everything is truly lovely!

Jeri Landers said...

Now that, is one great outfit! A lot of work went into that, I see it clearly. Love your little articulated critters, very funny!