Thursday, January 26, 2017

My painting plan

I am painting from my own photos, and I'll be making collages of my paintings one day each week from Pic Monkey. I took these photos recently with painting them in mind.
I have found an interesting thing about painting every day. It makes me feel like I am doing something good for myself. First of all, the discipline is helpful for me and it even spills over into other areas of my life where I need that sense of being consistent. Secondly, I am learning. I feel a little bit bad that I have gone back to acrylics instead of forging on with watercolor-but I haven't given them up-I just needed to have a bit of a boost, painting with what is most familiar to me. I love using photos to paint from, but I also like to paint from life. Both are good-both are teachers in different ways.
 
I was remembering my brief time spent in college for art-a painting class. The professor held up one of my paintings and asked the other students if they saw it for sale at Woolworth's department store-would they buy it? Meaning-you have wasted the class time with this junk. The teacher wasn't much older than the rest of us, and we never did get to see his own art....I happen to strongly believe that shaming someone-no matter what the subject is-NEVER brings about the change that is needed. It is plain horrible to do to someone.
In that particular case-I was very young and resilient and turned out a huge amount of awful art in that class until I stopped going to college all together.
My very best teacher was in high school. She let me work at whatever I wanted to-and I WORKED HARD. I loved it-I thrived, I learned, I felt good about ME. I even won a medal for art and a trophy.
 
So I plan to have Fridays as my day for showing what I have painted all week-starting next Friday. I want to thank you for leaving comments-it helps me to keep on with the work!
 
 
 


7 comments:

Barbara said...

Debra, now you've done it. I've gone through my photos and bought new supplies to start painting again! Where will this go? Don't yet know, but I need hand-friendly projects right now. I had a similar college painting class shaming experience. The student art show found my painting pictured on the first page of the college newspaper. My prof held it up to show the class, then said I was good at copying a picture and moving paint around. His point was that I wasn't good at making original art. We never saw his art either! I agree, shaming is not a teachable moment. I also had a similar high school art teacher, actually a nun, who encouraged whatever art I wanted to make. I loved her, and she made her own beautiful art until her eyes failed in her later years. I'm eager to see your Friday posts!

Studio Maywyn said...

Debra,
Your ideas and direction is a great inspiration! It is wonderful to read about your journey. Sorry you were not treated well in an art class.
For me, I got an assignment mixed up after being out sick. Being spoken to with such disrespect in front other classmates is hard to take. I left the critique room, went into the studio, and began painting. Its difficult to describe how hollow the room felt; and in a way, comforting because the others were so compassionate without words, I think that sense, real or by me imagined, helped keep me upright. I had to leave, and didn't return except to pick up my supplies. The painting I was working on is rolled up going on twelve years. One day I will finish it. Oddly, its two people in a room dancing, having fun.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Oh I admire anyone that can pick up a pen or brush and create art. Stick people are as good as I get. But your mention of a teacher that thought shame would inspire can carry through to other teacher's as well. It reminded me of a teacher in Cosmetology that my daughter had. I won't tell you what transpired the day I went to the school but I left with the class cheering me and my daughter removed from the class. She went on to finish through another school and attained record sales in her first job.

I am going to really look forward to the art you share here. Not my medium but still an inspiration and interesting to me!!

Have a wonderful weekend.
xx, Carol

jenclair said...

Even the artists we value most today were criticized and humiliated. Carry on, Debra! Aside from the finished product, the process of creating and how it transforms the creator is equally, maybe more, important! Another aspect in art of any kind is that one's early work will transform--in content and style and experience. There is that 10,000 hour axiom again!

Penny said...

Its a wonder I ever did anything creative or artful in my life because the so-called art classes in school were mostly boring, non creative and catered to those who had a natural talent. The rest of us were just sort of ignored. However, it made me realize early in life to depend upon myself and to trust my own judgement. Perhaps in some ways these early negative art events pushed you to prove them wrong and to follow your own path. I will never forget however the first time we worked with clay in perhaps 5th grade and the boy beside me made the coolest whatever (can't remember what it was) while I started out with a 'lump' and ended up with a 'lump'! *smile* You're on a beautiful track!

Deborah Nolan said...

Dear Debra It makes me sad to think a professor would do such a thing. I am so glad he didn't discourage you from following your heart and becoming an artist. I am so looking forward to your paintings on Fridays. I can see from your wonderful photos you love fog as well. Hugs!

The BUTT'RY and BOOK'RY said...





I absolutely LOVE and GET your ART!!!

Looking so forward to see what shall come :-D


(( I love how you see
~through your pen~
~through the shutter~
~ and through your creativity! ))

XXX OOO