Tuesday, January 17, 2017

old photos from Sparrowgrass

 Things sure change. Only two of these girls are with me now. The changing of a calendar can make you think about time when otherwise, you might just forget to really count the days. Winter makes me slow down and I guess turn inward a little.
It's not my favorite time of year. One good thing-we don't have one drop of snow. It's raining right now.

  As I was going through these old photos, I was amazed by the huge changes that have taken place. This old abandoned vineyard was ripped up, and it's a farmer's field now.
 Some of 'my' trees are gone along the road, to make more room for the field. The dirt road now leads to a new home on top of a hill. A big change for us-to have new neighbors. They are not close in distance; I can see their light at night from my back windows. It's a comforting sight I guess. Somehow I feel I'm looking at a star on that hill, a star that resides inside a warm home, and shines down the hill at me-past animals restless to hunt, birds sleeping hidden, and there's me-peering at a light that's twinkling from behind bare trees-farther than shouting's distance from me.
 Then-there are the geese-my two girls that will be 16 in June. Animals are so 'human' in so many ways.
 Our dear Cheyenne-gone to heaven, but loved and remembered. A quirky dog with fear issues to drive a person mad! We rescued her. We were always trying to figure her out, and to find ways of helping her to learn that we were not going to hurt her. By the time I took this photo-she trusted me.
'Our' road- a dead end going past our house-there's a turn off going up a hill where our new neighbors live. The road will never look like this again. There is always some sadness in remembering. But I am filled with a kind of hope or adventure when I walk on this road now. Change is what you make of it. I have to live with some physical changes right now, and a little pain-which I'm not used to.
 Change.
 
The calendar turns, the days turn one into another. Years become like books with pages missing-you can never remember or read them all again.
But it's ok.
That light will shine....

8 comments:

Studio Maywyn said...

Change is a subject you've written about beautifully.
May all your roads be lovely, and full of adventure with comfortable places to stop and take in all in.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Kind of a melancholy post. Much more interesting than most posts about looking back over the past year. Much more thought provoking as well. I've never been adverse to change, though as I grow older I do admit that I sometimes miss how things used to be before our rural area grew into a neighborhood with a subdivision behind the houses across the road and a Super Walmart a mile away. My husband grows into a grumpy old man. My body, like yours, feels the aches of growing older and somewhat limits what used to be done easily. But we adjust and area grateful for each waking day.
xx, Carol

jenclair said...

Beautiful photos, Debra! I understand your nostalgia regarding landscape changes. Even if some changes are right and good, there is a sense of loss at what had to make way for the new. The loss of trees, the new view of a field. It is sometimes a bit like double exposure, to see the memory of the old landscape superimposed on the new.

Barbara said...

This post spoke to my heart, Debra. Your reminder that everything changes, from the weather to life itself, was comforting in this new week following my 97 year old Mother's pssing. As much as we would have held onto her forever, change needed to take her frailness elsewhere. Now we are left with the challenge of accepting and adapting. I love all your photos, your love for your geese and Cheyenne is palpable. I hope you rescued some vines for your art before they were torn out. It's not my favorite time of year either, and it doesn't help those pains that come with age, but so far NJ has been spared many of the big issues felt in other parts of the country. Yes, the light will shine...

Penny said...

What a beautiful post. I love the thought of your 'new neighbor's light' being a star! Your winter pictures are so poignant - such a reflection of this time of year. This past year has brought numerous changes to so many of my friends and loved ones and even to me. One of my mantra words for this year is "acceptance". Not always easy!

Cheryl said...

Change is my word for this new year.... Change is both good and bad... I'd like to focus more on the GOOD than the bad though lol and if that doesn't work, I'm changing my word lol

Coral Cottage said...

Debra - this is a lovely post. The photos are endearing and beautifully reflect these moments. I'm struggling with change. I hope your pain eases. I miss the Sparrowgrass post. This was right on time for me - thank you for sharing. xo kim

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Debra - to think I almost missed this post. Your photos are beautiful and poignant. Made me want to shed a tear or two when I spotted Cheyenne. I can clearly hear your voice and it touches my heart. Love ya