Monday, February 13, 2017

life lessons....

I'm having fun painting from my photographs. But soon I know I'll need a new camera. It seems this gadget is becoming more and more important to me as a painting tool.
I'm happy with this painting, but there are many mistakes in it, and places I could've pushed through some difficulty I was having-and made the painting better. That will come with time I think-just spending some hours working, working....
***
This part of my post is along a different line-and I hesitate to even write about it, except I think it will be a good reminder to myself.
This morning I was cruising along at Etsy, looking at stuff, exploring art there. I came across an American artist whose work at the first glance was extraordinary. Skill upon skill, good at the business end of it, successful and prolific.
But then I read her 'About' section, in which each seller at Etsy has the chance to tell the world about themselves. That's when I started to get sick. I mean, really disgusted.
This artist was a SNOB. Part of her wording-"I am not just one of those internet only Etsy "artists"..." and- "I am semi-famous..."
GAG, GAG and GAG.
Suddenly all those colors and beautiful lines on the prints and canvases melted and turned into slop. (For me.) I'm sure many people wouldn't have been affected the way I was.
 
As I walked around in my studio and looked out at the snow and cold and bluster of winter, I started thinking about ME.
It is too easy to go there. I mean pride.
Isn't that what we all crave in some form-the show and tell, the watch me-see what I can do? It started when we were little and doesn't end. It's scary because we all have it. It can even be hidden in an attitude of "I'm not good enough," because that too is pointed at ourselves.
 
I could go on, but you get the point.
Lessons in painting are not all about canvas and paint and brushes....

5 comments:

Barbara said...

Amazing post, very insightful. Your thoughts about all of us ring true, yes, it's scary. I once knew a state press association award-winning writer who swore she wasn't a good writer at all. She even said that she was just fooling everyone! She already had attention because of her awards, so all I could think was that she had no sense of self-worth or self-respect. That is the opposite of continuous boasting, but you are right, it got her even more attention to say what everyone was shocked to hear, and they didn't believe. We love show and tell, or we wouldn't do blogging, facebooking, tweeting, etc. Even if not selling anything, it feels good to get feedback about. Someone once said to me that we are all selfish, that we don't do anything unless we get something out of it. Guarding against that takes effort, and I've started to tell myself that if my heart isn't fully in doing something, I probably shouldn't do it even if it does bring attention. Just some random thoughts there. :)
PS...I think your painting is lovely. Especially, I like that it has all my favorite colors!

Studio Maywyn said...

It looks like you ended up where your journey wanted you to be...in one of those unexpected comparisons that can sometimes pull a person out of that being too hard on oneself.
Camera wise...include a good photo editing program that you don't have to pay for by the month. I'm looking into the Corel software.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Well, pride? Yes. But her description of herself goes further into perhaps egotism. Full of herself, I'd say. But, being a person that tries to see both sides, I'm thinking she just may not have known how to write about the quality of her work. Ok, that's the benefit of the doublt. If nothing else, she needs some lessons in salesmanship.
Happy Valentine's Day!
xx, Carol

jenclair said...

Oops! Mirror, mirror, on the wall... Or even better, Robbie Burns poem To a Louse with the final verse:
O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion:
What airs in dress an' gait wad lea'e us,
An' ev'n devotion!

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Debra - just catching up with your posts. First your painting is wonderful. It is such a pleasure to see your work on canvas. As for the last part - very insightful about our need to be noticed either in showing off our accomplishments or putting ourselves down.
It is that spiritual battle we imperfect humans fight. May God grant us the grace to overcome! Xo xo