Tuesday, February 7, 2017

WIP and a finished painting

 Above is the WIP. Acrylic on stretched canvas.
This one is finished. Both were incorrectly photographed in poor lighting. But I am very motivated to keep on. The city scene is so out of context for me. But I am doing it for discipline-and I'm loving it. I set up a grid on the photo, and drew a grid on the canvas. I've never painted that way before, but it's the only way I can do complicated subjects. I'm about half done with the top one.
 
I have plans to do more bird sculpting-it's been so long since I made birds.
We are getting rain here today. It's about 40 degrees, dismal of course, but I did hear a robin sing its spring song for about 10 seconds a few days ago. We have some robins here all year around-so it's not unusual at all for us to see them-but hearing that song was so nice!

5 comments:

Barbara said...

That city scene is definitely a good exercise in discipline. I do sense it's out of your comfort zone, but it's working! All those overhead wires and signs, plus that primitive presentation, will one-day dat this scene. I love it. But I love the second one even more. The sky colors are beautiful. Our moon looked like this exactly two nights ago. I have heard spring bird sound too! I told my husband I want a goose. Of course that's after telling him I want another kitten, and an Alpaca. Sometimes I feel sorry for him. Lol!
Oh, wait...how big are your paintings? Is the second one on canvas board?

Deborah Nolan said...

Debra these are both amazing work. Your discipline certainly is being rewarded in lovely art. Your landscape of the heavens and tree line just touches my heart. So beautiful. Hugs!

Studio Maywyn said...

Good work! The city scene is a surprise, and quite nice as it is.

Coral Cottage said...

WOW. When I saw the first painting, I had to take a closer look I said this looks really different, but then the more I studied it the more it screamed your style - only different. The subject may seem different, but it was obvious to me it was all you. While this image wouldn't be my first choice I really appreciate the discipline and work involved doing it. Yet, it is so charming, I totally love it. That pink sky - ah. Of course, the second painting is just beautiful. Your posts make my day, I feel like I am on this journey with you, and for that, I can't thank you enough. xo Kim

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Debra,
Outstanding paintings!!!! I especially love the the last. You are very talented.
Wishing you a beautiful week
blessings,
Penny