Monday, March 27, 2017

a little bit odd thing to do ....

 Of course, painting sticks isn't a new decorating idea at all-but I've liked it whenever I see it in magazines. I like sticks!
Gather some dried ones with no bark. You don't want critters of the 6 or 8 legged kind in your house. They live under the bark sometimes.
 I didn't bother to prime the wood-it didn't matter to me if it took a few coats-but I found one coat using craft paint worked great. You have to wait for one color to dry before painting another. The paint will dry fast on very dry wood.
 I tried more than 3 colors and found I really didn't like it. Seemed to detract from the effect I wanted-which was kind of understated. But by all means-get crazy if that's how you feel!!!
I chose black, gray and white.
Then I sanded them after a day of letting the paint dry. I used fine grit sand paper so a lot of wood wouldn't be taken off.
I have no idea what I'll do with them yet-but I like them!

9 comments:

Barbara said...

This is so cool! I must not be up on decorator ideas as I've never seen this. Now that I think about it, I don't see any magazines either. Lol. I like the sanded look, and am looking forward to seeing a photo of how you use them. My mind is seeing them as a bouquet of sticks in a vase. The very best thing about this is that you like them, and I'm sure it makes you happy. Out of like some of the odd things I do. Do you know what kind of wood they are?

Deborah Nolan said...

Dear Debra like your painted sticks. Since I have a ton in my woods might have some fun with this project too. Hope you are seeing spring at your home today. It is finally here. Will email you soon. Hugs!

Studio Maywyn said...

Debra,
Stick fan here...the dry sticks can also have critters burrowed inside them waiting for warmer weather. I soak mine in hot little bit of bleach water.

jenclair said...

Another stick fan here. :) Eager to see what you do with yours1

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Well Deb, I'm sure we are going to see more of these sticks in future posts. I have never painted sticks, but I have painted branches and used them in the house, but mostly at Christmas. I'm pretty sure you have a purpose in mind, since you selected colors and multy color painted them. I think you just want to be mysterious today.
xx, Carol

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

I love the look that your painting gave them! Cant wait to see what you create with them!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Very pretty! Cant wait to see what you create with them!

Penny said...

Love your sticks! I'm a BIG fan of dried stems and buds and such. I doubt if you'll ever see a 'fresh flower in my house but you'll see lots of odds and ends of branches, twigs, stems!

A bird in the hand said...

I paint sticks too. Love how you've painted them. I tie them up in a "bouquet" or wrap some silk around them and hang a bead or medal from them.